Sunday, January 20, 2013

Girl meets Stranger

 

I went on a blind date a few weeks ago, it was an interesting experience. I hate to admit but it was probably one of the best dates I have ever been on, a complete stranger who knew nothing about me managed to put together something I totally enjoyed. Great food choices (Argentinian, followed by an entire chocolate hazelnut cake. Any boy who buys me an entire cake gets some serious brownie points!), great company, great activities (Geo Chacing…this weird treasure hunt thing which led us around the city, down dodgy alley ways I had never seen before), however no spark. Which is fine, almost expected, but this left me with a little bit of a dilemma and a question which I posed to my girlfriends.
Although there was no spark, he was still great company.  I didn’t leave the date wanting another date but I did leave it thinking he would be a great guy to hang out with as a friend. Which I told my girlfriends, who quite enthusiastically told me that NO, I could not be friends with someone who I went on a date with, as I would be leading him on...even if I made all intentions known. This confused me greatly, yeah, we went on a date, but can’t a girl just be friends with a boy?! Does it always have to relate back to dating and sex? What if I just want someone to talk fart jokes with? Why cant I just be friends with a boy?  However as one does, she often relies on the advice of her girlfriends and when the majority’s consensus is that I should not offer friendship as a constellation prize I figured that was the best course of action.
I didn’t think much about it after that, until one night out I met up with the friend who set me up on this blind date and the blind date was there. Potential awkward scenario was very likely, semi freak out occurred when I was notified of who would be joining us, worried he would think I was a rude bitch for not being in touch. Thankfully, as often is the case with myself, said freak out was 100% unnecessary. So I figured I would ask him his thoughts on the situation. It turned out that the friendship feelings were 100% mutual, he also said I was an idiot for listening to my friends and he had never heard such nonsense. So I can be friends with a guy I have gone on a date with, thank god, just because I don’t want to make babies with you doesn’t mean I don’t want to hang out with you.
So moral of the story is, when in doubt friendship is never a bad option, blind dates can be fun and sometimes my girlfriend’s advice is not always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment